October 10, 2013

Yeti's, Lions, and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (What's a Rest Day Anyway?)


By Far The Best Road Trip Partners,
Even for the Guys! 
(Day 1)

 The morning started out bright and early, at about 6:45am.  I one woke up super happy because I had actually slept through my normal 0330 (3:30am) wake up time, yes I said normal.  But was woken up by a text message from a co-worker who was covering me at work.
My friend Cass and I woke up and eat, finished some extra packing we needed to do and actually made it out the door by our goal time of 0800.   So why exactly are we the best road trip partners, even for the guys?...  
The less stops the better with us.  We had packed our lunch so we could just eat on the road, and we only stopped about half way for a bathroom break and some gas.  Our 8 hour trip turned into a 7.5 hour trip.  Along the way we jammed to all kinds of music between her ipod and mine.  Talked about guys, as most girls do, started talking about what parks I wanted to go to since she would be staying a whole week and myself only the weekend.  I also helped her study for her return to her restaurant gig...o you Thai salad dressing.

The trip had begun.  Fastest road trip girls!
*I may be out of town but I WON'T miss a workout*
Once we arrived at the condo the first thing on the agenda was to get our stuff somewhat unpacked and for me to head over to get my CrossFit workout in.  
I was in Orlando last year for this same race, and had visited a CrossFit box, CrossFit MouseTrap, close to where Cass lived when she was living down there last year.  The owner Joe was really nice and I kept in touch with him after dropping in that one day.  We arrived at our condo at 4:30 and I was at CF by 5:30pm.  While I did my thing, Cass and her friend Jesus when and got some food and drinks and caught up.
I did dL, yes I know.  Great idea right before a race.  Yes, I too, the fitness junkie and certified trainer and sometimes stubborn and don't program accordingly. 
Long story short, their workout was too quad dominant so I did a modified "Jackie"
Theirs...                                                                       Mine...
100m                                                                           5x5 dL @ #185
100m walking lunges                                               1000m row
100m run                                                                   50 push press #45
100 burpee broadjumps                                          30 pull ups
100 kb swings                                                          8:48

After that I worked on double unders and then told Cass to come pick my hungry butt up.  We went to Raglan Road, an Irish Pub in downtown Disney, and had dinner.  I was craving the soda bread.  They bring you a olive oil and honey dipping sauce.
Dinner at Raglan Road

A Disney Filled Day, aka Rest Day
(Day 2)

So, Friday was a full day of Disney, and let me tell you it was such a hard decision of deciding which park to visit.  We were getting guest passes from a park cast member, we could get in for free, but weren't positive on if we would be able to park hop with the new passes....but we were able to.
I had decided to do Animal Kingdom since it is one of the parks I had not been to.  I went to Epcot last year for Taste of the Nations, which was going on this year too.  We finally got everything about our passes figured out and off through Animal Kingdom we went.  The first thing we saw walking through the park is the Vine Lady.  And O man was she hard to see if you didn't notice outside of the bushes.

We walked around for a few minutes and then headed straight to get some lunch, Cass was starving and didn't have any food for breakfast.  The chicken salad sandwich I got was awesome.  I only ate half and Cass wasn't a fan of her pulled pork "taco" and finished off my sandwich.  After that our first top was "It's Tough to be a Bug," and interactive show where your seat at the end feels like their are bugs running underneath your butt on the eat leaving.  This was in the roots of the tree of life.  I couldn't believe how much they expanded the roots from how far that tree was away.
The Tree of Life is that far away and we went
right around the corner for "It's Tough to Be
A Bug"
After that it was off to Expedition Everest.  Such a fun coaster.  I highly recommend it if you haven't been on it.  I had no idea that it went backwards, sorry if this is a spoiler alert.  And the Yetti doesn't move anymore either.  Apparently it reached so far it would hit the other side and was constantly breaking things.  We walked around Asia for a bit, saw some monkeys and then headed back to Africa to do the Safari Adventure.  This is the one thing in there Cass had never done and the park she had spent the least amount of time in.  Well yay for me for having taken her on something she's never been on!
The safari was so much fun and the best part was we got to see the lionesses and lion out, which our guide says is very very rare.  






After the Safari we headed over to Hollywood Studios.  Our race would take us through Hollywood Studios, but there would be parts/rides that would be closed while we would be there.  I wanted to see the Indiana Jones show, and Cass had mentioned the animations studio where you could learn how to draw a Disney character.  How often do you learn how to draw a Disney character.  We drew Chip from Chip 'N Dale. Those were the two ?chipmunks? that would stock up on all the produce in the fields.  I was impressed, I actually did a good job on mine and it looked like Chip.  While we were waiting outside the class, Mr. Incredible and the blue guy came out.  I will admit I have never seen that movie.  


The class was only 30min long, but because out class started late it was only about 20min.  After that we went and watched the "Beauty and the Beast," musical show.  It was really neat to watch and all the costumes and dancing.  I would recommend going to see this show if it is still playing when you visit.  We stopped by to see one of her friends that works as one of the restaurants, and then headed off to get some dinner in Epcot.  We were both starving and have both figured out that we are both not very nice people when we get hungry.  Especially me!  I find nothing funny at that point and don't even want to talk.
We took the park bus over to Epcot versus walking, that would have probably made my mood worse at that point and headed into some food.  We went to, I believe it was called seasons, quick serve restaurant and I got a caesar salad with chicken.  Yes, not the healthiest thing in the world, but it was the only thing that really made my brain think because I wanted to some good chicken.
After that because Taste of Nations was going on we decided to go get something really quick and share it.  Scotland was new this year so we got seared salmon with pureed cauliflower and a chocolate banana tort.  It was soo good!

~Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party~

This was a hard decision for me to decide to do.  I can go buy a ticket for this and it was a hard decision to make on buying the extra ticket because of my current financial situation.  But boy o boy and I glad I decided to do this.  We got to the Magic Kingdom around 6:45pm and the park was closed down for those who only had a ticket for the party.  We got special wristbands so that we were the only ones in the park, and were given a small bag upon entry into the park.
The bag was for nothing else but to trick or treat through the park.  I was completely excited to get to do this.  I haven't been trick or treating since I was 11 years old, nor have I done anything remotely Halloween related except for carving a pumpkin every year.  No cute or creative costumes, no collecting candy, no going to Halloween parties.  I wasn't dressed in any costume, but were some of the costumes we saw really impressive.  You could have mistaken them for actual characters in the park, those that play the princesses.
The best part of the Halloween party is the Villains come out because what would Halloween be if you saw all the princesses.
I was literally a kid this night.  Running around all the different rides in the park and getting excited about areas I had not seen, like Pirates of the Caribbean ride and seeing the guy who was Cpt. Jack Sparrow.  

A Disney Halloween.  This is by far the best Halloween
I have had in 13 years!

Cass

It's a good night to have some fun with one of the
monkeys from Tarzan.

Cass and I got so excited every time we saw a huge Mickey lantern, which meant candy was near by.  We went through our first line, at the Pirates of the Caribbean ride, 3 times we were so excited and we were waiting for Cpt. Jack to come back out to get a picture with him.  I love how Cass is still so excited about Disney at almost 26 years old.

We hit some other rides and candy spots in the park and then headed for the Villain parade and then off to the castle we went to watch the projection show and fireworks.  Some of the villains were out on the parade and you could get photos with them before the first works started.
Evil Queen from Snow White and the Seven
Dwarves
From there we went to the Haunted Masion, and walked through the new Fantasy Land.  They are building a roller coaster in the Snow White area that is like your riding in a coal mine, and the 7 dwarves were out also.  I wish I would have gotten a picture with them.  We went on The Little Mermaid ride which as a similar concept to the Haunted Masion.  And of course scavenged for more candy.  After that....Space Mountain.  From there we were both worn out and ready to go.  We had officially been on our feet for a good 12+ hours walking around the parks.







No comments:

Post a Comment