September 18, 2014

Fixing my Sweet Tooth While on Whole Life and Nike+ SportsWatch

Okay, yes I am a fitness and nutrition nut but even I have my vices.  I admit I have a sweet tooth and yes I indulge that weekly with something that wouldn't typically be on the healthy side of the nutrition scale, i.e. ice cream, donuts, ice cream, cake, ice cream.  You get the idea. 
So with the whole life challenge I basically can't have anything sweet at all so I have been finding some alternatives.  
Dates can be used to add in may things whether to add sweetness or act as a binder, such as protein/granola bars.  I have been having to find alternatives for some of my snacks in the morning since it usually consists of some type or processed protein bar.  So for snacks this past week I decided to make Bacon Wrapped Pecan Dates which are pictured below and I also made today Bacon Wrapped Cinnamon Pineapple.  I somehow find time to make these things in between running from job to job, but the best part is a lot of it is in the oven so I can multitask while they are cooking.

Bacon Wrapped Pecan Dates
 Bacon Wrapped Pecan Dates/Pineapple
12 dates
       (or fresh pineapple chunks)
Uncured bacon 
12 pecans (for dates)
cinnamon (optional)

For Dates:
1. preheat oven to 425F
2.  Remove pits from dates (the pits almost look like pecans).  To remove, just place a slit in the date and pull apart and replace with pecan.  You can leave the pecans out if you prefer.
3. Cut bacon in half (about 4in each piece)
4. Wrap/roll bacon around date or pineapple and secure with a toothpick.
5.  Place in the oven for 20-30min depending on your preference on how long you like the bacon to cook or look.  Keep an eye on it.
6.  For the pineapple with cinnamon.  I sprinkled cinnamon on the pineapple, as well as the bacon.

*Note:  for cholesterol friendly I used turkey bacon
Recipes from Practical Paleo cookbook

I usually reheat them in the microwave, but only for a couple seconds (at the most 20) because those suckers get hot.  I will say they are very sweet.  I can't even believe the health benefits of dates and all the vitamins and minerals they have in them.  And to think I just had these for the first time the other week.




I Never Win ANYTHING!!
I participated in the Nike Women's Half Marathon that took place in Washington D.C. back in April.  They have it twice a year, in D.C. and San Francisco (which is coming up) and this race is hard to get into because it it a lottery draw.  LUNA Bar is one of the races sponsors and I follow them on Facebook.  They were having a contest one day regarding nutrition.  They would choose 3 people out of the millions who asked a nutrition question regarding how to fuel your body for performance.  The prize...Nike+ SportWatch
I am a runner, as well as a CrossFitter, so I had to ask, 
T:  "What is a good carb, that is not a grain, that in conducive to run training?  I'm trying to find something besides sweet potatoes."
LB: "Regular potatoes are great as well also fruits and dairy products contain carbs."
Grains and dairy aren't big on the paleo diet, and although I don't follow it strictly I do try and stick to it as much as I can.  I usually have oatmeal twice a week because of run training.  Anyway.
I somehow got chosen as one of the winners for this.  I sent them my address and just receive the watch in the mail yesterday. They also sent me a full box of one of the new flavors, chocolate coconut almond, they are trying for their protein bar line.  Just the ingredients alone say Almond Joy to me.  I look forward to testing out the watch on my runs and trying these protein bars.  Will give you a review of the watch and bars later.



I also tried making a pumpkin pie protein shake recipe today.  It need some perfecting...thickness and will post the recipe soon.   And be on the lookout for a quick homemade ice cream recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment