April 28, 2016

Lifting Struggles + Apple Pie Recovery Shake + Exciting Upcoming Events

I feel like I have so much going on right now, or at least a lot running through my mind right now. 
I have no complaints about my weekend.  Although I can't remember what I did Friday night, which I can tell you was probably nothing because I got to lazy to get out of my pajamas after getting home.  Although I really did want to go down to the Dogwood Festival because Chris Jansen was playing. 


My Weekend
Saturday morning was an early one, but later than my normal wake up time. I did have to skip my workout but it might have worked out in my favor.  I spend most of the day Saturday in Salisbury watching a mini sprint/go kart race with Fidget.  Because I can't for the life of me remember what those cars are called!  Fidget's friend's son was racing that day. We made it there around 11am and got to watch him qualify. It was definitely a fun way to spend a Saturday, along with some good company.  Some of those little cars are fast.  It was a small track that took the slowest cars around 9 second to circle the track with a couple spin-outs and T-bones involved.  The weather was beautiful and I got a little bit of a tan, not the kind I wanted but a tan none-the-less.  It was a 2 hour drive from home but the good part was it was close to my first home. I had expected the day in Salisbury to last until about 345 and I don't know why that time but that's the time I had stuck in my head.  Well that had already passed and we didn't end up leaving until around 5pm. We took off for lunch and got some Panera for everyone and then hung out the rest of the day.  I just hung out, mostly kept to myself expect for when watching the races or playing with Kayla between races.  We did some gymnastics stuff and I went with her when she wanted to get food.  I played more with the kids I think.  On the way back we stopped by my mom's place.  I had talked to her on the way up to Salisbury and she said to swing by if we got the chance, And that she'd like to meet Fidget.  So meet Fidget she did. We didn't stay long because I didn't want to get back to late.  It had been a long day in the sun.  We headed the 2.5 hour drive back home, taking the scenic route as I'd like to call it.  It was definitely different being the passenger on that drive than the driver.  After we got back we hung out at his friend's place, eating and messing with the kids.  More him than me, I was exhausted.  I almost fell asleep on the floor,  I didn't end up getting home until 1am.  And believe it or not I went ahead and started my laundry so I wouldn't have that much to do on Sunday and could head to the gym.
Now where exactly are these lifting struggles happening...you'll see.
After church on Sunday I finished up my laundry and got to the gym a little after 12 because they actually open at 12pm.  Unless that has changed which I heard it was.  All I was going to work on that day was my oly lifting which is normally a Saturday. 
Snatches
I have been struggling with my snatches lately.  They've left heavier than normal for some reason and it could be because I have been doing my Conditioning portion of my workouts before actually started on my oly lifting work during the week.  I never think about these things when I do them, which I probably should!  My thought process doesn't always work right, but I can't be too upset because they days I'm suppose to get to a heavy single I was hitting 56kg/126# which was 2kg under my old PR (personal record).  My struggle to hit 58kg was starting to get discouraging but again I wasn't taking into account that my body was already tired from my Conditioning.  In my mind I should have been able to hit it anyway.  So Sunday when I walked into the gym, not long after a guy walked in and got on the platform beside me.  He stared warming up snatches also.   I have no idea who in the world this guy was but the way he carried himself with a fiery purpose to his lifting somehow rubbed off on me.  I was determined to hit a new PR that day and they were actually filling good.  I work my way up to 56kg and then decided to try that elusive 58kg that I have been chasing for what seems like forever.  And there's this saying that if you hit a PR and it's not filmed, it didn't happen.  But I didn't break out my camera for it because I usually ended up missing it even though I was always close.  Well, what do you know, I hit 58kg first attempt.  So why not keep going?  59kg it was.  I hit that first time also.  I had to stabilize a little longer in the bottom but I didn't care as long as I stood that sucker up.  I attempted 60kg/132# about 4 times because I finally decided to call it a day.  the only reason I kept attempting it was because I was so close to getting it.  It's hard to stop when you're so close to something.  It drives me more and more to keep going but I have to keep in mind that after awhile my body is worn out from that movement pattern so it's slowing gong to get worse.  I'm so close to 61kg, which is my goal for the year.



Cleans
Now clean & jerks (C&J) are where I really get frustrated.  61kg was starting to feel easier of getting out of the bottom of the clean.  Now they are just feeling heavy and horribly ugly!  HELP ME!!  O and not to mention, can you see how close my snatch number is to my C&J number.  It should not be like that at all.  Maybe it's time to start a front squat cycle :/
I struggled to get to 61kg that day, and I ended up missing a couple of times and some stood up two with bad form so I did one extra and made sure it looked at least halfway decent out of the bottom.  I'm almost to the point where those are about to put me to the point of tears.  I really need a coach and wish I had one but when things are tight you just sometimes have to suck it up and go without one.  But enough with that bitching, even though C&J didn't go well I couldn't have been more happy with my snatches. 

I went home and showered, grabbed a snack and headed downtown to a new boutique called Southern Alternative.  They haven't been open long but everything they have has looked really cute, and I've been wanted to check it out for awhile.  Plus they were having a 20% off sale on some items.  So why not get out enjoy the beautiful day and try on some fun clothes and maybe something I wouldn't normally wear.  The Dogwood Festival was also going on this weekend and I didn't get a chance to go to it but it will come around again in the Fall.  I found plenty of stuff to try on and I want to say I shopped for maybe an hour.  They had a lot of cut clothes.  I ended up with a flannel top, skirt and crop top.  And if you know me
wearing a crop top isn't typically my thing!  I'm one of those girls who will wear a sports bra and booty shorts to workout in but wearing a crop top just feels weird and that I'm being judged and I hate feeling that way.  But I can't worry about what other people think the rest of my life right


Apple Pie Recovery Shake
So many of you who might have read my blog previously know that I usually follow the Badass Body Diet nutrition guidelines for my nutrition.  Mostly for portion sizes than actually nutrition though.  I did the 21 day guidelines back in March but have figured out my own way to work some of my treats into the nutrition guidelines.  I also get up and workout early in the morning which sometimes I wish I would just let myself sleep in, but of the 5 days during the week, 4 of them I have recovery shakes.  The majority of the time I fix chocolate and banana other than that I usually fix the banana with spinach (you can't even taste it) or a blueberry banana recovery shake.  I was honestly starting to get tired of the same old shakes.  I didn't want to throw mango or pineapple in there which I had done before so I figured why not try something different.  I always debated about trying to make one taste like apple pie, but worried about how it would turn out with chopped up apples.

Apple Pie Recovery Shake
Servings: 1
Ingredients:

1/4 banana, sliced
1/4c unsweetened apple sauce (I have Great Value - Walmart brand)
1c almond milk
1 scoop vanilla ETB protein powder
To taste:
cinnamon
ground all spice
apple pie spice














My next plan is making cupcakes, no not part of Badass Body.  I probably won't eat any of them but I want to try and make different flavors like strawberry (using actual strawberries), strawberry banana, banana, lemon raspberry, chocolate peanut butter, and peanut butter.  I was going to make the batter and separate them out into different bowls to add in the flavor.  So wish me luck.  The goal is to get them made on Sunday!

Upcoming Events
So I've got a couple things I'm looking forward to!
Raleigh Food Truck Rodeo
Raleigh once a month does a food truck rodeo of around 50-50+ food trucks once a month!  Something I've always wanted to do.  They do food trucks back in Charlotte on Fridays but I've never been able to go to one since I'm not here anymore and Fort Bragg hasn't really built up food trucks very well. 
Baby J
Well I was suppose to be writing this beforehand but waiting too long.  My nephew baby J was due on the 25th of this month.  Another April baby to add to the long list.  Well he arrived 7min early at 11:53pm on April 24th.  His name is Jamison Russell Black, but I'll probably end up calling him Jamie.  They wouldn't tell us the whole time what name they had decided on for him and I had a feeling it was going to be Jamison, but you never know.
Together 2016
I'm super excited for this.  This is Christian concert that is taking place in DC on July 16th.  I have always wanted to go to a Christian concert and it helps that it's in one of my favorite places to visit.  I don't think I could ever get enough of DC.  What makes the concert even better besides the artists and speakers that are going to be there is that it's FREE! Yep, free!  Some of the artist are Jeremy Camp, Hillsong United, Crowder, and Lauren Daigle.  Some of the speakers are Christine Caine, Ravi Zacharias, and many others that I have never heard of.  I've heard of the two mentioned from watching the videos from Passion 2016.  From there I will head to Lake Lure to spend some time with my family.  I plan on hiking Chimney Rock and some of the other trails in the park.  So if you are free, can find a place to stay, and are close to the DC area then come join us!

I'm not going to lie, as of right now I'm hoping for some other trips and events to pop up, a couple day trips to the beach I wouldn't mind either.  But only time will tell, but I do have some stuff to look forward too.



 ~God Bless

 
"Training strength and endurance mentally, physically, and spiritually."

No comments:

Post a Comment