June 12, 2016

Memorial Day + One Screwed Up Training Week

So this past weekend was Memorial Day and I know there can be a lot of confusion between Memorial Day and Veterans Day.  So just to clarify
Memorial Day - remember those that have served our country and have lost their lives for it
Veterans Day - those who have served our country and are still with us today

"Murph"
My Memorial Day actually started on Sunday afternoon around 3pm.  I had friends invite me to do "Murph" on post.  Now if you've never heard about or done "Murph,"  you're in for a treat.  So every year on Memorial Day the workout "Murph" is completed.  It is a workout that many CrossFitters do and other fitness enthusiasts do to honor not only Navy SEAL Michael Murphy bu many other fallen heroes.

Pre "Murph" (I had a sarcastic smile on)



"Murph"
1mi run
100 pull ups
200 push ups
300 air squats
1mi run

Now Sunday is typically my rest day and I love my rest day.  I just relax on my couch, watch tv, take a nap or spend time by the pool.  I was all for doing Murph earlier in the week but the closer to time it came to do Murph the more I was against it just for that simple reason I wanted to relax.  So I decided if anything I was at least going to go out and support those doing Murph.  I was going to show up in my workout clothes because when I watch I usually have an yearning to participate.  So I was still undecided even seconds before it was time to start.  But as soon as my friend Janine pushed start on her timer I took off with everyone else.  It started to get really humid because it had rained earlier that day, partly downpoured.  I was definitely sweating.  I think the worst part of the whole workout was the push ups and the 4 laps around the track for the mile.  I was able to do it in 1 hour and 5 minutes.  Definitely not my best time!  But it is nice to know that after the first year of completing it your legs don't feel like rocks on the second mile.   I completed Murph in 1hr and 5min this year.  Granted it was slower than my time from last year but I'm not in the same place I was as last year.



Working on my 200 push ups!!!  That was the worst part.


Pew Pew Practice
So I've been seeing a lot of friends lately start practicing their shooting more and some are even competing.  I myself own a gun for my protection when traveling by myself and also because I live by myself.  I have had my gun since I was 21 years old.  It was part of my birthday or graduation present.  I saved up that money after my family and I started shooting. 
Well I have always felt as if I was a bad shooter because my shots would never land where I wanted them to on the target and it helps that I never practice either.  I remember I went shooting with a friend before I left to move out here almost 3 1/2 years ago and have only been shooting twice since then.  You only get better or more efficient by practicing, just like at anything else. 
Anyways so for Memorials Day I stopped over by Guild to support my CrossFit family as they took on Murph for the holiday.  I didn't get to stay for the whole thing because I obviously was going shooting that day.  I have a friend that is a SF instructor and not only enjoys shooting but enjoys teaching others as well.  So he watched me shoot a mag at the target that was set to 10m away so he could see where I was having and issue.  My grouping was together, but obviously not in the place where I would like it to be...dead center.  My only issue he determined was just like most people I anticipate the recoil.  Stupid reflexes! 
I think I only lasted at the range for about an hour.  He showed me how to fix my grip so that it would take out some to the movement from the recoil. He moved the target out to 15m and things got worse! It's amazing how much worse of a shooter I felt like at just an extra 5m out from the first time.   We worked on the second site after taking the first shot and the most frustrating part is the wonderful game he decided to play with me.  My gun contains two magazines (holds the bullets that go in the gun).  He took both of them from me and emptied them out, plus we used his ammo, and he told me that he was going to put the magazine in either with a bullet or without a bullet.  I would not know, as I was not allowed to look when he was "loading" the magazine and putting in my gun.  Pull after pull the gun was empty and it was starting to work.  I was relaxing and making sure I was breathing when I pulled the trigger and my recoil was going away.  But my frustration was building.  I was tired of pulling the trigger and no bullet coming out of the gun.  Every single time, nothing.  We did it about 3-4 more times and then he called it a day.  He could tell I was getting frustrated and I'm sure just like with doing double unders in CrossFit, the more frustrated you get the worse and trying to fix the problem gets.

My Screwed Up Training Week
Well remember how I told you my schedule for working out last week was messed up?  Well it all started because of Murph on Sunday. 
Monday being Memorial day and I having plans and not being sure what time the gym opened I wasn't able to get my workout in.  And the only excuse I will make is that I wasn't going to drive to the gym just to find out that it was closed, especially after calling it several times. So instead of my normal rest day being Sunday and not going out for a run which probably would have helped when Tuesday rolled around and I had back squats to do.  And some of my normal Tuesday strength work got thrown in with Mondays work as well.  With quads still sore and meeting animals because of dog sitting this past weekend I had a busy Wednesday.  But I did get a chance to relax on Wednesday night by going to trivia night at Latitude 35.  They have trivia every Wednesday and I had done it once before almost as a double date type of thing.  It wasn't as much of a date for me as it was for a friend of mine.  But anyway.  I felt like all I did on Wednesday was run around and a much as I didn't want to skip out on running that day I'm glad that I did because I was running around with what felt like a chicken with my head chopped off.
Thursday I can't even remember what I did which only begins to tell you how crazy my week was.  Friday I did my normal conditioning and typically on Fridays because I'm so exhausted by the end of the week I go home and take a nap.  With my schedule being different this week I wasn't that tired and needed to go for a run since I've been pretty good about getting in 3 days a week since I decided to start running on a regular basis.  He, Fidget, is still motivation for this, to make him proud.  So I headed out for my 2.5mi run that I typically complete on a Monday as a warm-up for the week and that was probably all my body could handle with the heat and being sore.  I felt really slow that day!  But I couldn't wait to get home and have dinner.  Finally to be able to relax.
But Sunday would bring around a new week and back to my regular schedule!  So glad for that!

I was antsy to get out of my apartment on Froday so my girlfriend Krystal and I headed downtown to Southern Alternative Boutique just tonnage some fun trying on clothes and I need a top for the akort I had bought there previously. I decided to try on a romper: 1) because I have never had one on and 2) because Fidget said it was his least favorite outfit on any girl so I wanted to prove to him that they aren't that bad! Luckily they had one I thought was adorable so I had to try it on!




Man does my back look huge and yeah yeah I didn't
have on the right type of bra for trying this on.



No comments:

Post a Comment