May 8, 2017

Reunions + PRs

There has been so much stuff going on this week. A good sale at target to help me get a little more organized...I bought a cube organizer.  I'm going to put some of my notebooks on there and some of the dog toys I had bought for Robby in there so he has them next time he stays over.  And I'll probably get some dog treats to keep in there as well.  And who knows what else I'll decide to throw in there to try and clean this place up a little bit. But I have some other apt projects I want to work on as well.

Reunion
So many students may have that one teacher that makes a big imprint in their life.  For me, it was my 3rd grade teacher.  I was the small little girl that was still in gymnastics at the time and he was big into working out back then.  He still does but not as much.  I knew he worked for CMS school system so I decided to look him up one day and found that he was a principal at a local middle school back home. Not creepy at all I promise.
He, Mr. Drye, showed up to my father's funeral when I was only 11 years old.  Guess I had an impact on that man as well for someone who hadn't been his student for 2 years and he's showing up at the service the day of my dad's funeral to give me a hug and see if I was going to be okay.  For some reason, not sure what, they actually allowed him to come to the back to see me before they started the service in the home.  On such a gloomy day I had a huge smile on my face when I saw him.
So once I found out that he was a teacher for CMS I decided to contact him.  And sure enough he still remembers me.  He said it would be great to see me, so since I work for the school system out here and we are on a different schedule than CMS I decided to see if I had any days off that would coordinate with his working schedule so that I could drop in on him.   There was only one day left in my school year for that, but it would have to be a quick overnight trip.
When I arrived, the office staff was a little confused because they didn't know I was coming.  He had told me he would only be there until 10 so I had to make sure I got there before then.  I had plenty of time.   We gave each other a hug when we first saw each other and then sat and talked for a bit.  He definitely looks older.  I always remember that young Mr. Drye that taught me and for some odd reason didn't expect him to look any older.  After that he gave me a tour of the school and said there wouldn't be much going on because they kids were getting ready for end of year testing.  He introduced me to some of the school staff and teachers, and even got to say hey to one classroom of kids.  They actually had autistic kids in the cafeteria having breakfast.  They eat after the other students because it's nice and calm and not as loud for them.  Why is that significant?  Well if you know what I do, then you understand why.  All the grades are separated so the kids don't intermingle much.  Sad that some of the parents are scared these days for 6th graders to get mixed in with 8th graders.  We hugged and said goodbye after the tour, and my stupid self forgot to get a picture of us together.  But I will visit again and get a picture next time.  
I headed back not too long after that so I could get my workout in before a dog boarding drop off.


Pups
Walker being social and not a momma's boy
for about a minute
So some of you may know, and a lot of you may not.  I do dog sitting on the side during the school year and then make it my full time gig during the summer.  Which I'm hoping it picks up soon!  So far this week I've had Robby, a 10 month old golden retriever (who you saw pictures of in the last blog), and currently I have Walker, a pit mix.  Robby is just a ball full of energy and Walker is a huge momma's boy.

Walker arrived on Friday afternoon and was already sitting in my lap before the owners even left.  I took Walker to the dog park later on so he could get some exercise and he took off from me for about one minute and then came right back and stayed by my side. He would take off away from me on occasion but for the most part stayed by me.  We'll head back out there tomorrow (Sunday) because we've been inside most of the day today.  We actually took a nap as well because I was exhausted from going out for Cinco de Mayo.  











No, I didn't have tacos for Cinco de Mayo.  Shocker.  I went to Southern Pines with Krystal to Sly Fox.  I definitely don't spend enough time down there.  I ate wabbit (bugs bunny reference) instead.  How often do you get to try rabbit anyway?  We went to the Jefferson for about 30min after dinner to see one of her friends.  I was honestly over it after dinner.  The crowds were crazy because of the holiday.
Saturday afternoon nap time

So we, Walker and I, headed out for a walk this morning before I headed off to church and then we went to the dog park after.  I can tell you one good thing about the dog boarding/sitting is that it is forcing me to relax from my typical hectic Sunday of meal prepping and helping me to just enjoy the day.  There were so many dogs at the dog park on Sunday!  But just like Friday, Walker basically stayed by me the entire time.  He did climb under my legs a bit but I took a book to read and found a bench out in the sun and just relaxed while he played under me and on occasion walked under me and made himself a leg rest.  We were there for about an hour and then headed back to the apartment.




Walker after coming back from the dog park



PRs
So, if you read my last blog you know that I have been on a cut for the past 5 weeks.  Four weeks on the base and this passed week on my first official cut phase.  Which has had me a little irritated beacuse of my lack of carbs later in the day.  But this week starts new programming so no carbs after lunch shouldn't be an issue..YAY!
There is always that concern that while on this cut I will start losing strength.  And so far that isn't true which is such a relief.  
While on my deload this week my body building work has been 2x10 instead of that 3x20 that I told you about.  So usually when deload week rolls around I try to hit as much weight as possible.  I was able to do 32kg/70# goblet squats, which I've never even thought about attempting before.  And what makes me even more excited is my strict press.  
I was able to hit 41kg/90# for 10RM!  This has me super excited and really curious at the same time.  Why? Because it makes me wonder what my 1RM is now.  I probably could have gone for 42kg on my strict press.  But a 2kg PR on strict press is a okay with me.  Just the fact that that number is getting higher makes me happy.  I have a strong upper body from doing gymnastics when I was younger but when it comes to strict press I've always felt like I've been stuck at the same weight for a long time.  Although this hypertrophy programming can be a pain sometimes, it really does work.  I'm looking forward to the next 5 weeks and the results coming from it.
Next meets:
1) Appalachian Open (Asheville, NC) - July 15th
2) Barbells & Brews (Charlotte, NC) - Sept. 30th


So I think I've narrowed down my choices for the place I'm going to use my United flying voucher on:
1) Grand Canyon, AZ 
I think I was to swim/paddleboard in the river around the Grand Canyon and then go visit from the top.  Bucket List!!
2) New Orleans, LA


Updated prayer board



~God Bless




"Training strength and endurance mentally, physically, and spiritually."

No comments:

Post a Comment