May 3, 2017

Swole & Somewhat Flexy + Cutting Yikes

As I sit here in bed with my pup Robby, who I am dog sitting, laying right beside my bed I'm relieved that it is officially deload week of my 5 week hypertrophy cycle (I'm on week 5 people).




Robby all tuckered out from the dog park.


I have seen squats upon squats, heavy as hell squats that mentally screwed me up since I have a new 1RM on my back squat, and light with my oly lifts all month long.  Every other day is either focused on upper body or heavy on legs.  I think I'm more over the accessor work than the actual squats.
My heavy days of squatting.  Week 4
The only thing frustrating about light oly lifts is I know that when I finally get back into hitting 85-90% of my 1RM on snatch and C&J it's going to feel heavy as hell and I'm going to wonder how in the world I ever hit those numbers in the first place.
I think that's the one thing you have to really learn is to trust your coach, but sometimes I wonder what the hell he's thinking.  The man has a mind of his own, and is definitely not afraid to speak what's on his mind or his view on how things should be done.  I know he gets annoyed with me sometimes haha but I'm going to ask questions.
So last month he decided to program goblet squats and at first I was semi excited because I was pumped about the challenge goblet squats pose in keeping your chest up, not letting your hips rise first and the core tight,  but after 10 weeks of those suckers and this month it being 3x20, I'm hoping that this week is the last week. 

RDLs...63kg
This month is focused on hypertrophy so my legs can get stronger and hopefully finally hit some PRs on my C&J.  The man has me doing 3x20 on all exercises minus snatches, cleans, power jerks, and front or back squats.  This past weekend was my last week of trying to do all of them as heavy as possible for 20 reps.  After I finished my back squats on Saturday (week 4) I had mentally checked out of the accessory work.  Granted some of that had to do with some other factors going on in my life but mostly I was just over the 3x20.  I had honestly thought about skipping my last set of RDLs and calling it a day, but it was only one more set of 3.  I could suck it up for one more, but I had also thought about skipping the movement all together.  But I didn't because I'm to damn stubborn.
All other days of the week I have to head to work not getting to complete at least 1 of the movements that's programmed and have to try and make it up in combo with my other programmed stuff or just head back after work.  I'm not going to lie, there was one day that I wasn't able to finish all my bench and didn't even get to rows before having to get ready for work and I honestly said screw it that day and just went home after work and didn't even make it up later.  Part of me felt bad but the rest of me was completely exhausted and overwhelmed dealing with other things.  And we have to listen to our bodies every once in awhile right.  I hadn't been getting much sleep that week.






Cutting
So comes the fun part.  The goal is to get down to 53kg/116# and I currently sit around 57kg/125-130# depending on who's scale you decide to step on.  The goal of this cut to 53kg from the 57kg is to try and qualify for the American Open (weightlifting) this year.  It would be easier for me to hit the qualifying total of a 53kg lifter as opposed to a 58kg lifter.
So when I first got my cut I looked at all the different phases - base, cut 1, cut 2...maintenance.  The base had a lot of  fats in it.  According to coach, it was the easiest way to get in the calories I would need.  My protein was cut back as well as my carbs.  My first thought....why in the world was my protein cut back so much.  I wouldn't be worried about the carbs until later.  The calories for the cut had to come from somewhere was his response to my question about the protein.  I'm practically his guinea pig for his nutrition plan he is trying out.  Why? O yeah...it was free.  So we'll see how it goes. 
The goal:  cut weight, get stronger and make it to AO.
I spent a month of the base for the cut and this week I officially started Cut 1.  Of all weeks to start cut 1, a deload week, where volume and weight are all nice and light.  I'm only on day 3 and I'm not a happy individual.  I get absolutely NO carbs after lunch, my 4th "meal" of the day, because my protein shake and workout carbs are considered a meal as well.  So no more nightly snack of my eggs with banana and peanut butter.  Maybe it's the thought of me missing my carbs that makes it worse, but I'm ready to get my programming for next month so that I can start having carbs all day again!!




But on a completely different note.  I need to start figuring out where I'm going to go with my $400 voucher from United....
There is always the other option for where I had planned for my birthday, New Orleans.  But here's a list of thoughts
1. New Orleans
2. Arizona
3. Wyoming
4. Seattle
hmmm decisions decisions




~God Bless



"Training strength and endurance mentally, physically, and spiritually."

No comments:

Post a Comment