July 1, 2017

Slowing Down

We have a lot in common with people more than we know.  If only we took the time to get to know that person.   I've learned this over many years.
A friend in college thought I was a mean person until we had to pair up as scuba partners during scuba class only to end up being best friends in college during out major.
My younger cousin I found out last year deals with anxiety and depression like I do.  She's more closed off to everything and opening up to others than I feel I am but I'm not looking from the outside at myself either.  I have noticed that she lets her anxiety control some of the things she does and how she feels about things.  And I know this all to well, but as I have gotten older that has gotten better.


It's All Relative
So my cousin came into town last week to visit for a couple days.  It was basically a weekend visit during the week.  I wasn't busy with dogs which was kind of nice.  She loves antiques and thrift stores so we went around town to the two thrift/antique shops that I could think and then stopped in a boutique that I love downtown.  I always get in trouble in that place and know I shouldn't even walk in there.  
We talked about school for her, she's going to school for American Sign Language interpretation.  Which I completely admire her for.  I've always wanted to learn sign language and ha started at one point but then stopped because I felt like I was horrible at it.  We talked about what she wanted todo when she graduated and what her most popular options were and how some of the positions are hard to get into.  What really surprised me was how closed off she was telling me the deaf community is to hearing people.  She was telling me that how some deaf people wouldn't even bother speaking with her when they found out she was hearing.   It saddened and shocked me honestly.
We spent most of the time talking about guys though as most girls do to each other and spilling our man issues.  Hers had just broken up with her during finals week...great timing bud.  And lord knows what mine is doing.  I still can't figure him out and I'm a little scared when it comes to him honestly, but anyway.   I remember being confused like she was when things just go wrong out of the blue.  Our boy talk and anxiety/depression talk was over Cracker Barrel and hiking.   Wednesday was a nice day for a hike and we were out for about an hour and then went to play trivia that night.  I did my best to entertain her while she was here and I hope that I was able to give her some advice about boys and dealing with her anxiety and that it's okay to take medicine for it.  I remember I was scared and stubborn about taking medicine for it at first.  I can't really but into words why I was scared me but it did.  I still am a little ashamed of taking medicine but don't try and hide it as much but I'm sure when I take it people are wondering what I'm taking medicine for.  

But I told her later after she got back home what I usually tell myself when a guy breaks my head and how I keep my head up....
"Show him what he's missing!"  It just reminds me to not wallow in the fact that some guy has just broken my heart and to pick myself up and better myself.  Set goals and reach them.  Make them impressed by the person I have become if I ever run into them again and be like damn why did I ever give that girl up.  That's what runs through my head in the mist of all the heartache.



Fire Truck Festival + Pew Pew
So we all know when kids are young at some point the boys love fire trucks.  They'll walk around with plastic fire helmets and how can you not think a little kid is cute at that age.  Well Spencer, NC was having a Fire Truck Festival this past weekend and for my niece's birthday my mom got us tickets to actually ride on the train that was there and look at all the different fire trucks.  There were fire trucks from all different places in NC and all different models.  My favorite was one from 1914.  I don't know why but I'm attracted to the older body styles.  There was also a pink fire truck that for breast cancer, bounce houses for the kids to play in and then some of the fire hoses were out and being sprayed so the kids and adults could cool off.  I just kept myself in the shade as much as possible.  

The train ride was okay.  It was an older style passenger train and we passed by museums and I think the one thing I thought was the coolest is, if you ever watch the show Thomas the Tank Engine and saw where they kept the extra train cars and had the circle type track for all the different engines/cars to pull out and be put on a certain part of the track, there was that there too.  Yes, and Thomas the Tank Engine show was the first thing I thought about when I saw that.  I tried getting a picture of it but we had passed most of it by the time I had realized it from paying attention to my niece and nephew on the train ride.  Other than that none of us were really that impressed with the entire experience.  By the time we were down, we were dealing with tired and crying kids who were just completely over the whole experience.  They were both asleep about 15min into the car ride back to my sister-in-law's house.

Mom and I both went home and took a nap after that.  I had really wanted to relax and I knew that since we were going to get done early in the day from the Fire Truck Festival I might be able to do something I wanted to do for once and have some fun.  I have been wanting to go shooting for awhile so later that night mom and I went into Concord and went shooting.  I need a lot a practice and it had been awhile since I last shoot so I wasn't expecting anything close to being good.  I actually surprised myself and had some pretty good grouping minus pulling to the left but I have more confidence now than I did last time I shot.  




I've thought about it a couple times and my goal eventually would be go to and compete in a shooting competition.

My niece's birthday party was the next day and it was Moana themed.  I got there about 30min late because I had gone to the gym that morning and had laundry that I needed to get done.  I know...bad Aunt for being late to my niece's birthday party!!  She got a Hatchimal from her mom's aunt and as soon as that thing pecked through the shell she was peeling the shell off herself wanting to get that hatcnhimal out!  I get patience runs well in the family haha















House Updates
I haven't started on my big pallet project yet, but I decided to add some better towel hooks in my bathroom other than the 1 command hook that I had for myself.  I thought well if my cousin is coming into town and if 16.4 (we're going back to calling him Fidget) comes back and takes a shower at my place where in the heck are they going to hang their towel when they're done.  I wanted it to match my shelf that I had made in my bathroom so I used industrial piping again.  I am enjoying this decorating/sprucing up thing.  

I also had ordered a pillow case from Thirty-One Gifts about my love for weightlifting.  I can't help it...what I love bleeds into my decorating.  So now I have an extra throw pillow for my couch which I'm completely in love with and what weightlifter wouldn't be.

No comments:

Post a Comment