November 1, 2017

Barbells & Brews

This was the meet that my coach and I had been waiting for!  The slow cut, then panicky one; the long hard struggle though training of volume cycles and strength cycles.  The frustrations of why lifts were feeling harder than they should and slower than they should.  Many panicking moments from me, texting my coach asking questions.

It was finally here....Barbells and Brews 2017

The goal apparently was to become more consistent with my lifts (from my coaches standpoint).  My goal was to hit some PRs on the platform.

Warming Up
This was the fun part.  Because I was the last person to start my snatches in my session I had to hang out and wait for several minutes to even begin warming up.  Sean, who coached me through B&B, told me to get out of the warm up area.  Easier said than done, for me anyway.  I didn't have anyone there that I knew really enough to hang out with.  Mom hadn't shown up yet, she was working at a yard sale.  So I kind of walked back and forth between the warm up area, hanging out in there, and between the crowd of spectators.  
Finally I was able to touch a barbell.  I let Sean know that snatches had been feeling slow from the floor and he told me to drive through those quads that I have.  So I listened and used them during warm ups.

Snatching
I was nervous about my opener since I had only made my last snatch at the Appalachian Open back in July.  Hitting an opening lift, just snatches, is always nerve racking for anyone.   Last meet I went quick to my set up and got mentally distracted by the crowd in front of me and the judges.  This time, I took the time to chalk up and look around at the crowd, get my bearings and then step onto the platform.
Snatch 1: 56kg
I walked onto the platform, placed my feet and hands on the bar.  Got into my set up position and pulled the bar. Trying to remember in all that process, glad I hadn't gotten distracted by all the people in front of me, to be quick underneath the bar.  Before I knew it I had caught the bar and was standing up easy with it.  I got a little excited and started to drop the bar right as the center ref was lowing his arm for the down signal.  
(for those that don't know...if you drop the bar before the ref gives the down signal the lift won't count)
I always forget this since I'm not use to having to get the down signal.  Luckily it was close enough that I received credit for the lift.  This I was happen about.  It was good to get those nerves out of the way.

Snatch 2: 60kg
This is be the heaviest snatch I had attempted on the platform (at a meet).  My PR is 62kg.  I did the same set up for this snatch as I did the previous one.  I took my time before stepping onto the platform again.  Taking a glance at the crowd and the refs that would be in front of me.  I had already chalked up my heads, gotten some tips from Sean, took a deep breath and stepped onto the platform to attempt my second snatch.
I placed my feet and bent down to grab the bar, left hand then right hand, bent my knees, head up and then pulled.  
I swear I can never see the barbell passing in front of me, just the feel of it.  How it feels coming off the floor, as it passes my hips and I start the pull and start to pull my body under.  The next thing I feel is the catch overhead.  How stable it is, was my body prepared for it?  Everything felt solid, an easy catch.  And stood it up easy.
This time I remembered to wait for the ref to give the down signal and dropped the bar.  Another good lift!

Snatch 3: 63kg
This would be a great way to hit a snatch PR for me.  And on the platform at a big meet!  I did everything like I had the previous two snatches.  Everything felt easy, even the catch.  But for some reason when I caught the barbell overhead something happened and it fell in front of me.  I wish I could pin point why I missed this snatch but I can't.  Everything felt great.  
I had tried this number about 3 weeks prior in training and was nowhere close to getting underneath the barbell.  I would start to pull under and then stop.  But honestly I was happy with that attempt that I had gotten completely under the bar and into the receiving position.  Granted making this attempt would have been even better but I was happy with what happened.

Clean & Jerks


I was going to finish this blog at some point but unfortunately life gets in the way.  Which is going to take me away from writing for awhile.  Maybe I'll find the passion in me to write again and hopefully encourage some people and give hope to people out there along the way who are dealing with life's troubled spots.
I'm going through one of those troubled spots.


But until I decide to write again.  Take care, God Bless and keep pushing forward with mental and physical strength from God.


Love,
Tiff

No comments:

Post a Comment