August 24, 2013

You Mean I Don't Have to Set Goals Just On New Years?

10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1  Happy New Year (except for the fact that today isn't exactly New Year's Eve).  So many of us say that when the new year rolls around we're going to lose weight this year, or we are going to get back into the gym and get in shape.  Well guess what, making goals just aren't for the beginning of the year!
Working in the fitness industry, at the beginning of the year you see tons of people pile into the gym on January 1st for their New Year's resolution and then everyone disappears after about a month.  So what makes those goals fade off during the year, and how can we make goals so that we stick with them all year long?

I'll start by telling you some of my goals I made for the year (not all fitness related), made as a New Year's Goals/Resolutions
1.  See the Blue Angels fly (most events cancelled because of the sequestration
2.  Back squat 150lbs
completed June 26, 2013 with 154lb/70kg
3.  Have more fun, get out and do more
4.  dL (deadlift) 200lbs 
completed Aug 15, 2013 with 203lb/92kg (5 reps so not a true 1RM)
5.  Get more involved in church
6.  Complete a Brave Soldier Challenge (all events were cancelled)


(I tried to upload the video of one of my goals for you to see, but it won't load.  If you would like below is the link for my FB page and you can see it there)


First
Goals DO NOT have to be set just at the beginning of the year, they can be set anytime throughout.  That is the one good thing about goals, you can set them at anytime.  
    As you can see in my list I have completed two of my fitness goals before the end of the year, so because I have completed them already I have reset those goals to try achieve something higher by the end of the year, keeping those goals realistic.  We might have to modify our goals at some point during the year whether it be to obtain a greater goal or to lessen it to make it more realistic.  Either way remember, it's okay if you decide to make a goal at the beginning of the year, middle or toward the end of the year.

Second
You want to set goals with the SMART acronym
Ex.
I want to lose 4lb by the end of January.  
(This goal is specific
S - what? You want to lose 4lb
M - the goal is to be complete by a certain time
A - who? yourself
R - is it something you are able to accomplish in the time frame set
T - set a time frame for you to accomplish your goal.  No time frame can lead to not achieving your goal

Third
The last point I will mention about making goals is to have people, friends/family, to hold you accountable.  Find people with the same goals as you such as weight lose and you can support each other and keep each other on track.  Find a running group if you have running goal.  Not only is it a good thing to have someone else hold you accountable to also hold yourself accountable.
If you are looking to lose weight, track what you are eating in calories.  You can track by writing your food down in a notebook, on an online computer program or an app on your phone.  
That's the one thing I love about doing CrossFit.  Those people become your family and if you miss classes they always end up checking in on you and they encourage you all the way through you workouts.

My friends came aqua jogging with me when I couldn't run
and was recovering from my knee injury.

If you did not know I am a personal trainer.  I had a client Friday tell me she had a serious question to ask me..."Do you think I could run a half marathon?"  My first thought was, that's a serious question.  I had to take a step back in my mind because for her, yes it completely was a serious question!  She has had several knee surgeries.  
My response to her is absolutely.  She is a beginner when it comes to running, so she asked if she would be able to do it in 1 year.  Can she do it in one year, completely.  Could she do it before then, absolutely.  I told her to start by picking a half marathon to run.  You can make this a goal, but if you don't have a deadline for that goal you won't make a plan to accomplish it.  I'm super excited for her to have this goal and for her to achieve it next year!  Let the training begin.



Feel free to ask questions about goals if you have any!

No comments:

Post a Comment