September 16, 2013

From Red Apple 5k Test Run to Navy Air Force Half Marathon

Red Apple 5k for Diabetes Test Run
(In more ways than One)

Team RWB first meet up with FRC for a group run
 So as many of you might know by now, I have been nursing some weird ankle injury that I not even sure how I had gotten it.  It had hurt every single day for about 4-5 weeks and any kind of pounding movement (running, box jumps, jumping rope) just seemed to make it worse.  It had started to feel better a couple days before Sunday and just in time too.  My half marathon was coming up and I had been running so I decided to meet up with Team RWB and FRC to run their usual 3mi to 5k loop with them that they do every Sunday night.
Besides I was dying to get back out there and run with them again.


This was the first time that Team RWB and FRC would meet as a group and I do admit you could tell who was apart of what group by the way they separated themselves.  We also paired up with Cinco de Mayo Fest to test our their Red Apple Run for Diabetes 5k route.  The run isn't suppose to take place until November 16th.  They were nice enough to set up a timing clock so we could see how fast we were going, which was good so I could get an idea of where my pace was at.

Of course we tested out my ankle on a couple of hills right at the beginning and some off roading toward the end, with also a couple left runs thrown in there.  I was happy that I was able to pick up speed toward the end of the run.  I could definitely feel it during the run, but it didn't bother me to the point of stopping.  It's just the aftermath that I was worried about.
My ankle did bother me a little bit that following Monday so I stayed off of it and rowed 5000m for some cardio.  
Steve and I before the group meeting and the test run.

~Active ?Recovery? Wednesday~
The plan for the day was to do a little bit of a test run just to check out how my ankle would do getting closer to the race so I decided to do a 2mi run on the treadmill to try and control my speed.  I started out at 6.5mph and toward the end of the last mile picked up the speed just a little bit.  I don't think I've had 2 miles feel so long in my life...well I take that back maybe I have on occasion and my head isn't in it or when I first started running.
Last Wednesday was also September 11th.  And CrossFit always does some type of memorial WOD.  I wanted to do it in honor of what had happened and I knew already what the workout was from coaching so I just took it easy and didn't go all out on it.

9 pull ups
11 box jumps/22 step ups
9 sit ups
11 box jumps/22 step ups
9 push ups
11 box jumps/22 step ups
9 toes to bar
11 box jumps/22 step ups
9 burpees
11 box jumps/22 step ups
9 air squats
*2 Rounds for advanced

Well....Wednesday is always swim day for me and I truly was going to use it as an actual recovery swim just to help me loosen up and be relaxed for Saturday.  I only swam about 1600yds that day, and it was all straight swimming, no speed work.  I might have done 4x25yd underwater but that's about all the actual heart rate things I did, other than that I did some pull and played around in my flippers.  Now the only really I'm really going over what I did in the pool is because when I say recovery on Wednesdays my workouts typically hard quite like that; sometimes they involve breath control, speed work, endurance, or a combination of any of those and average out to about 2500yd+.

Only 2 more days until the big race....


No comments:

Post a Comment