September 10, 2013

Judging "Throwdown in the Triangle" Makes Me Want to Compete


Throwdown in the Triangle

Saturday morning started out bright and early (well minus the bright part anyway) at 3am because I was too tired from the day before to prepare all my food and clothes for this day.  I had volunteered to judge the Throwdown in the Triangle this past Saturday and was super nervous but completely excited at the same time.  I was really excited about getting the experience of seeing and judging movements in a competition, but super nervous about giving someone a rep when it was bad or "No repping" a good rep.  So I made the one hour and fifteen minute drive to the competition, passing through 3 tolls along the way which I was kind of annoyed by to be perfectly honest.  But my lack of preparation the day before did not help matters.  Upon arriving at 6am, I received my outfit for the day...my official shirt with judge on the back and my FREE lululemon shorts.
R to L: Michelle and I with our official Judge shirts.
(We were both assigned to judge in lane 9 that day.
Both our first time judging!)
(For those of you who have never had lululemon clothing, shame on you!)
At 6:15am we had a judges meeting and went over all the WODs that the competitors would be doing and doing through all the movements and the standards of each movement.  This took maybe about thirty minutes.  After going through everything and having some laugh in the process we just hung out until about 8:45.  Paul the judge of the judge gathered all competitors and judges to go through the standards of the movements.  
What was our job as the judge?...To JUDGE.  We were not the competitors cheerleaders which is hard not to do in CrossFit.  We also had to make sure we explained the expectations of each movement, see if the athlete had any questions, clearly call a NO REP, and hold our hands up and count down from 5 with our hands when they had 5 reps left.

'Let the competition Begin! (at 9am)'

WOD 1
5 minutes to find 
1RM Clean & Jerk 
(I want to say there were at least 8 different heats of competitors, ranging from male/female Masters, scaled M/F, and Rx M/F) 

My buddy "Juice" on the 1RM C&J @ 335lb

*1 minute rest

WOD 2
750m row for time

My lane judge partners and I got our rotations down to a science, passing the pens and clipboard back and forth.
The competition was running so smoothly and efficient even all the judges couldn't believe how organized and quick everything was going.  I looked on in amazement at my friend Juice when he started out with a 325lb C&J, when he only had to start with 165lbs.  The Rx (prescribed weight competitors) women started at 135lbs.  Those women are truly amazing, and I hope to get there one day!
We had about a 30min break between each WOD except for event 1 and 2.  

WOD 3
4min AMRAP
100 double unders/singles
30 air squats
15 pull ups/jumping pull ups
remaining time max reps shoulder to overhead
rest 2min
*repeat

For this WOD, if you didn't have double Unders, you were kind of out of look and wouldn't be getting to any of the other movements.  Double Unders are with a jump rope and you jump once while the rope passes under your feet twice.  
Counting double unders was by far the most nerve racking part of the whole competition because the rope moves so fast and you start to count a rep before it is completed and if the competitor misses then you have to move back and number and they also like for you to call out what rep they are on at a certain point, and well that can just confuse a judge all together.  

WOD 4
5min AMRAP
10 burpee dL (deadlift) @ 225/135
10 burpee dL @ 275/185
remaining time AMRAP
burpee dL @ 325/235
*the athlete had to do a bar-facing burpee (hips and chest must hit the ground), jump over the bar with both feet at once, and then turn around and do a dL, repeat

The biggest thing for this workout was making sure that the athletes chest and hips both hit the floor, which was huge because not everyone does that; that they didn't bunny hop over the bar, and their hips were fully extended at the top of the dL.
My first competitor, who was competing in Masters kept forgetting to do his dL after he would jump over the bar and kept on doing burpees.  I think he missed about 4 reps because of it and I had to no repping him and reminding him to do the dL!  Sucks for him, for sure.  I felt so bad for him!

After this the field was narrowed down to the top 10 in each category: Master M/F, Scaled M/F, and Rx M/F.  The competitor starting with first place got their choice of what lane the would be competing in.  

The girl in the blue top killed
it after getting through
box jumps
The guy in the red shorts
placed 1st overall.
Juice (behind him)
placed in 3rd overall.
Final Event WOD 5
10min AMRAP
60 kb swings 
45 box jumps 24/20
30 handstand push ups/hand release push ups
15 snatches 135/95
5 muscle ups/5 pull ups, 5 ring dips

I can definitely say that all these athletes are truly amazing.  To be out there competing.





This competition definitely made me realize how much I really want to compete in one of these again.  But I would be at a little bit of a dilemma;  I am able to do the advanced skill movements of the Rx females (muscle ups, handstand push ups, etc.), but am unable to do as much weight as they are suppose to do (235lb dL, 95lb snatch, etc).  And the scaled movements are too light for me except for the 185lb dL, which is close to my max.
One day I will be able to compete, maybe I will have to start out in the scaled division but I will for sure be up there with the Rx ladies soon.

DETERMINATION!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment