September 26, 2013

The Sweet Smell of Cinnamon (Chicken Sausage + Apples)

I'm not going to lie, this is one of my favorite recipes and as reluctant as I might feel to give it out, I have had a couple people ask me for this recipe.
Psssttt...I think it has more to do with the smell when it's cooked than anything.  

Where is All Started

My mom and I love going to Sam's Club when they have their holiday tastings.  But I will guiltily and proudly admit that I love going back to the little pieces of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake that they always cut up and share.
I can't remember how many years ago this was that I tried this recipe and it's not something that people seem to find appetizing when I tell them what I'm getting ready to fix. We were walking through trying to get everything we needed for our holiday get together and using the holiday tasting as our lunch.  So we walked by a tent that was set up and a lady was sautéing apples, onions, and sausage in a pan with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil.  My mom and I grabbed a plate and decided to try it even though to us as well it didn't sound that appetizing.  It's a good thing they only give you a small plate right.  Well, it was really good much to our surprise.

*My Own Little Experiment
So I was in a hurry before going to work one day and my mom and I bought the chicken sausages from Sam's Club and decided to try them.  I had remembered the recipe from the time we had gone to the holiday tasting and remembered it didn't take that long to make.
So I sliced up a sausage, a whole apple, some red onion and sautéed it in a pan with some extra virgin olive oil.  While it was all cooking I decided to throw on some cinnamon.  And it just smelled up the house.  When I am at home and I have the time I am able to sauté it, but you can also do it in the Ziploc Steamer bags as well.

Minus the cinnamon.
This chicken sausage is spinach and asiago cheese.


Recipe:
1 chicken sausage sliced
1 med sized apple peeled and sliced
       *I prefer Granny Smith
1 slice of red onion
extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp ground cinnamon



Instructions:
Place about 1-1 1/2 tbsp of in a cooking pan, and spread evenly around the pan (do not turn on the burner until all ingredients are added).
Slice the sausage into 1/8 of an inch (eyeball it)
Cut the apple into quarters. and then remove the peeling from the apple, core/seeds.  After peeling the quarters slice into about 3-4 pieces per quarter.
Remove the end of the red onion and then cut 1 slice of onion, thickness of the slice is determined by you.
*I typically leave the peel on the onion while I am cutting it; it keeps my eyes from watering.
Throw all the ingredients in the pan and turn burner to med high/high heat.


Add 1 tbsp ground cinnamon to top of ingredients after you start to hear the sizzling of the olive oil.
Cook until onions are soft, apples are semi-soft/soft, and sausage has a little bit of charred marks to them (about 5-10min).  You may also need to had more extra virgin olive oil while cooking so keep it handy.
You can add more or less cinnamon, depending on your preference.

The aroma while cooking this is amazing!

I know that this isn't the perfect recipe with instructions, but I typically guesstimate on my measurements.
I have done this recipe in a steamer bag as well. Make sure to add the olive oil and then cinnamon last when cooking it in a steamer bag.  And shake the bag to evenly coat the ingredients with the cinnamon.  I place it in the microwave for 3min and the apple come out very soft.  You can lessen the time if you don't like your apples soft.

I typically get a funny stare from people when I tell them what I'm fixing if I cook in it a steamer bag at work, but once they start smelling it, they don't really think I'm crazy anymore.

Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment