March 21, 2016

16.3 + My 10 Year High School Reunion (Yikes)!

16.3
We are now halfway through the open with only 2 more workouts to go and at this point of me writing this blog, only 1 more after last nights announcement of 16.4.  I'm not going to lie, trying to get this workout completed was a pain in the butt.  I was suppose to do the workout Saturday morning but didn't get to, but will say that I am disappointed in part of the CrossFit community here and proud of it because of all the support I received the day of and after Saturday.  So this particular workout was in my wheel house, in my skill
strengths.  We had a typical movement, snatches, and a semi new movement, muscle ups.  Usually we have ring muscle up and you have to earn your right to perform them; in other words it was usually to awhile to get to them or you had to be really good.  Last year Castro through them in the workout in the beginning which made me so happy, I actually got to complete them last year.  This year, instead of ring muscle ups Dave changed the game and gave us bar muscle ups.  I grew up in gymnastics, so hanging from a bar comes natural to me, and it was only 7min long.  Finally something times a little shorter.
I did the workout at Guild on Sunday, my normal rest day and Dawn was awesome to come take pictures of me!  Can't express how much that meant.  So 16.3 is...

7min AMRAP
10 snatches 75/55
3 bar muscle ups

My goal: Get to 7 Rounds
I did my first 2 round unbroken, but I knew I would get worn out on the snatches before bar muscle ups.  I broke my 3rd set into 5-5 and I can't remember if it was this round or my 4th that I miss my 1st bar muscle up.  I got a little irritated with the snatches though because one time my hand almost slipped off the bar as I was coming back down from the top to start another snatch, luckily it was at my hip pocket so I was able to catch it and adjust.  Another time I popped the bar too far out in front of me, which is a shock because NEVER do that, and lost my grip on the bar.  But missing my bar muscle up was shocking and frustrating to me.  and my 5th round which was my last full round I did get 2 unbroken muscle ups and then dangled my body overtop of the bar like any gymnast would to take a break or when I was in gymnastics readjust our grips.  As I let my arms and legs just fall loosely overtop of my head I shook out my arms for what felt like too long and did my last rep for Round 5.  Back to the barbell I went to try and get all 10 snatch in in the :45sec I had left of this 7min workout.   My breath was heavy and my arms started to feel like weights were attached to them making the bar feel heavier than I knew it was, but the worst part was how hard I was breathing.  I completed 9 of the 10 snatches that I needed for my start in Round 6.  I felt like I should have pushed harder and could a done better and possibly gotten into my 7th round.

My score: 74 reps
I really wanted to make it to Round 7 and it could have been possible.  Only thing I'm hating this year so far is not being able to redo any of the workouts.  So far I would have wanted to redo 16.2 and 16.3, but 16.2 wasn't going to happen since my quad was giving me issues, but it's better now

Current Standings
Women Worldwide

Women Mid Atlantic



10 Year Reunion (YIKES!)
So I found out about out a month to a month and a half ago that is is 2016, yes I've known this since New Years Day but it didn't connect with me that I have been out of high school now for 10 years.  Just another reminder of how old I have gotten and how old we all get!  Other than that quick reminder of my age, immediate anxiety.
Two reasons for my anxiety... 1) I did NOT enjoy high school except for swimming and my college prep courses; a girl absolutely hate me for reasons I never knew, and 2) I was embarrassed about where my life had been and the thought of sharing that with other people I knew.  I didn't fit in in high school.  I hung out with the country kids aka the rednecks, but also had a best friend that our nicknames were "slut" and "hoe."  Completely appropriate right?  Although most of my eating disorders really occurred in college I realize now that they probably started in high school.
I got lucky in high school to get involved in sports, which has been in my blood since I was 4 years old (thank Mom), and swam for 3 years (freshman to junior year).  This was the first time I had heard about year-round swimming and was completely amazed at how fast they actually swam.  A 500yd swim in under 8min was crazy to me, especially since I struggled to make it in 10+ minutes.  And my senior year I was apart of a college experience program where I only went to school for half the day and went to a college course later that afternoon/evening.  I took sign language for my course and want to start taking it again someday.
I remember a girl names Jessica who was, of course, one of the popular girls at school which I don't remember why but she absolutely hated me!  Having changed since being that age I don't understand how people have those feelings towards other people.  when they feel like that towards me my heart just hurts for them. 
I couldn't shake the burden of having to go to this, only that I didn't even really have to go.  For some reason I felt as if this was an obligation that I had to go.  I didn't want to see people from high school that I had become since then acquintances with on facebook who had successful careers and had gotten married.  I was embarrassed by where I am at in my life.  My mom tried to calm me down by telling me it wasn't a requirement to attend and that she didn't go to hers either, but the anxiety didn't go away.  Then in another conversation, he asked me if I was happy, happy in my life and in my career.  And my answer is absolutely!  I spend my days as a substitute teacher, mostly working with SPED (special education) kids at a middle school on post.  I don't think I've ever had a job that I go home happy every day, a heart filled with so much joy and warm with love.  It's almost an overwhelming feeling.  I wish everyone could have that feeling after finishing a day at work and look forward to going to work. When you make a connection with these kids it's one of the most amazing feelings.  And it's the simplest things; a kid giving you one of their starburst or them saying hello in the hallway.  I have nothing to be embarrassed by, I don't have to tell anyone my past, only where I am at currently.  My wish for everyone is that they find this happiness in their life as well.  So just as I was asked, I ask you; Are you happy?
But my reunion hasn't been officially put together yet, just thought about so I have awhile before I start to consider about going or not.


~God Bless
"Training strength and endurance mentally, physically, and spiritually."



No comments:

Post a Comment