March 3, 2016

Open 16.1 + Sweet Potato Hash Browns

You know when you just get in the mood to have some specific food and, if you love to cook, make it? That was me last week. So last week for some reason I was in a mood to just try and fix new food or at least try something different with the food that I normally fix, sweet potatoes.  I decided instead of sweet potato fries, cubes, or having them mashed like I always do I wanted to make Sweet Potato Hash Browns.  It took me until about half the week to get started on making them though.  This is mainly because I'm super busy during the first half of the week. The first half of my week I go to church twice and then working two jobs on Tuesday.  But I was super excited to make them, and next is going to be almond butter cups or PB&J cups.
And we can't forget about the crazy release of the Open 16.1 WOD this past Thursday.  Dave Castro wasn't even at the Live Announcement Event in California at Jason Khalipa's gym; he was in South America.  And how about them including us regular athletes for once along with The Games athletes in the live premier.? And the shocker of the length of the workout, as well as the new movement he threw in this year.

Sweet Potato Hash Browns
I am always eating mashed sweet potatoes with cinnamon and was ready for a change up.  I wanted to try something new and for some odd reason it felt like I had been hearing about hash browns for awhile or I just kept seeing pictures of shredded up potatoes made into hash browns.  Either way it was driving me crazy to figure out how to make some of my own that would work with the Badass Body Diet!
I searched the internet for several hours trying to find a recipe I could use and I would end up just picking bits and pieces out of it, and I hate having to take ingredients out of a recipe because that just takes away from what it is suppose to be and how it's suppose to turn out.  Almost as if it cheapens it.  So after looking at several different recipes I finally just decided to work my own concoction together and the best part is, it's simple.

Sweet Potato Hash Browns
1 med/large sweet potato (2.5c grated)
2 egg whites
1/4c nut flower (I used hazelnut because I was out of almond)
generous about of black pepper
3/4 tbsp. paprika

Directions:
1. peel sweet potato with a peeler. Make life easier on yourself! (It makes life 10 time easier and who the heck knows where mine went or even it I ever had one)
2. Grate sweet potato.  Use the medium side and place in bowl when finished.
3.  Add in 2 egg whites, pepper, and paprika and mix well (remember this is just general.  I went a little lighter on the paprika than I did the pepper.  I think I almost had my potatoes looking black from all the pepper).
4. Add in 1/4c hazelnut flour and stir until well combined.
5.  Add olive oil to pan and place about 3-4 spread out spoonfuls of hashbrown mixture in pan and cook over med-high heat for about 3-4min per side.

My next mission is to try and use the waffle maker to make them!
I've ended up using them more as a side to lunch and dinner than I have as apart of my breakfast but they are amazing and I will definitely be making these again!



Open 16.1
So the open season has officially begun as of last Thursday (Feb. 25th) at 5pm EST/8pm PST.  16.1 was filmed at Jason Khalipa's gym in Southern California.  And there were a couple shockers this year when it came to the live presentation of what the open workout would be. 
First was the fact that there were going to have TWO extra athletes besides Chyna Cho and Emily Abbott (Games competitors) doing the workout as well during the live announcement.  So no big deal right that they were having two extra athletes, except for the fact that the two other athletes were CrossFit athletes just like you and I (for those that do CrossFit).  Just your everyday average person who may be just starting, overweight, firefighter, a stay at home mom.  One of them had been doing CrossFit for several years, and the other had just been doing it for a couple months and would be her first time ever doing the open.  The gentleman did Rx and the lady, I believe her name was Joanna, did scaled.  I think a lot of people were inspired by Joanna and signed up.  She showed that truly anyone can do the open, even after being fairly new to the CrossFit scene.  I have a friend I've tried to talk into doing the open before who competes in The Festivus Games but still wouldn't sign up for the open.  The Festivus Games is geared toward those people who want to compete but don't have the still level that some CrossFit athletes do or have never done a competition before.  Not only was that a shocker for a lot but the workout has some new stuff thrown into it as well.
Dave Castro announced the open workout from South America, I've forgotten what country already, but it's not really that realivent at this point.  He announced first that we were going to have a movement that we had never seen before in the open.....OH (overhead) walking lunges, 95lb for the guys and 65lb for the ladies  (Rx) along with bar facing burpees which we hadn't seen in 2 years, and chest to bar pull ups (a regular).  The part he announced that almost everyone groaned about was that it was going to be 20 minutes long.
(In my best Dave Castro voice....) 16 point 1 is......


20min AMRAP
25ft OH walking lunge 95/65
8 bar facing burpees
25ft OH walking lunge
8 c2b pull ups
 
Results following validation submission of 16.1
Mid Atlantic Region (places me in top 5% - Women)

I joined Redpoint CrossFit along with many other gyms in my community on Saturday morning at Redpoint for the open workout. They had heat times running until 2pm with six people per heat.  I had to be somewhere later in the afternoon so I asked for an early heat time, 9:30am.  I was lucky enough to be in the same heat as a friend of mine, Kate from IFA (Iron Forged Athletics).  This way we could push each other during the workout.  So we made our strategy about what lanes we were going to use for our OH walking lunges and what bars we were going to use for our pull ups.  She was going to be across the gym.  The only advantage I had was that I could see her going her pull ups so I had an idea of where she was at during the workout.  We started off beside each other.  She would get in front of me a little on the lunges and then I'd catch up on the burpees, gain some ground on the lunges again and then I'd catch back up on the pull ups.  Having a background in gymnastics is definitely a plus.
The pains of this workout was having to take that one extra lunging step because I couldn't get my 7th lunge over the 25ft mark line. I was always about half of my foot length away from the finishing point that was the most argrevating part about that whole workout.  It didn't bother me that it was 20 minutes long; I just found my pace and stuck with it and tried to stick with Kate.  Pull ups sets slowly started to get broken up, just so I could make sure my chest hit the bar.  After awhile, when I get fatigued it's harder for me to get my chest to the bar every time.  Believe it or not the OH walking lunges were more of a rest than anything.  After hitting the one end I would drop the bar behind me and start doing burpees that way I wouldn't have to step back overtop of the bar to start lunging back. I was already facing the way I needed to face.  The pull ups were the worst part, and my legs did start to burn on the lunges but I could push through that pain, just nice and steady.  One time I lost my footing at the bottom of the lunge and had to stay there for a minute.   My quads were burning so bad I thought I was going to get stuck down there and the last thing I wanted to do was have to drop the bar, take a step back and  do another lunge.  I just might have cried, not really, if that would have happened. 
Results following validation/cutoff of submission 16.1
Worldwide (places me in top 5% - Women)
But it was good to hear some friends cheering me on, what I could hear anyway.  I have a tendency to drown things around me out when a workout gets going, even music.  As the 20min workout became 1 minute left I was rushing to the other side of the gym and trying to get as many burpees as I could.  I was so close to finishing my burpees.  I finished up with seven burpees and not the full 8, sad day there.  But once that timer hit that happy triple 0 (0:00) I fell to my hands and knees because my legs were so tired. 
My score:
200 reps (7 Rounds + 7 burpees) I knew from there how sore I was going to be, especially trying to keep up with Kate.  I consider almost all the girls from IFA complete badasses! And I was for a couple days afterward - glutes, quads, and thighs.
So my current standings for the first workout for the 2016 open season are

Results post 16.1
 
Individual Women World Wide
6284th out of 129,795 (top 5%)

Individual Women Mid Atlantic (my region)
515st out of 9979 (top 5%)

LiveSore AmBADASSador CF Open
13th place out of 119



~God Bless
"Training strength and endurance mentally, physically, and spiritually."


No comments:

Post a Comment